Friday, April 4, 2008

At Skokie Meadows #002

I have been feeling much better the last three days. I have been keeping myself busy on the computer. I have also sorted all my old mail today and acted on the important ones.

My uncle helped me out on a Radio Shack credit card balance. A very high APR% was really bothering me. An original purchase of $80 got up to $197 in four months. I called customer service and they were able to revert back to a mere $109 if paid in full. The customer service rep said that I need to be with my uncle to make payment by phone. My uncle paid the balance at a Radio Shack store, however that won't reflect in their systems until Monday.

I put a budget together on a spread sheet that I will show to case worker Debbie. She runs the transitional living group for people planning on living independent. I will be meeting with her today at 6pm with Michael whom I plan on moving out with.

One of the parcels was a letter from Bruce Oates about my Photo Class Incomplete turning to a F. The letter also said that I could contact my teacher about completing the course. Since I have to be in a treatment plan before going back to Oakton I may have to finish that class once I am in the process of my treatment plan.

The treatment plan is attending and having a safety net at Turning Point in Skokie. Turning Point offers a bunch of human services including groups, therapists, doctors and social workers for all ages.

I have had two appointments so far. The first appointment I saw the intake worker and discussed my needs. The second appointment just last Monday was with an intern therapist that will be at Turning Point till May. She gave me a six page questionaire that I was very happy to fill out just last night. It asked questions that would direct my care taking.

Last week I helped a friend (Gary) I met at Panera Bread getting Windows 98 to work in a virtual environment on his XP machine. His National Geographic DVD's would only run under Windows 95/98/Me. He said he spent a lot of money on those disks and were useless to him once he was using a Windows XP laptop. I have helped him out with otherstuff on his computer over the last two months. I meet Gary every Sat and Sunday at Panera Bread and he rewards me.

The first time I helped Gary with his computer he bought me lunch. Another time he bought me a Panera Bread mug. With the mug you pay once and drink all you want, Coffee, Pop etc. Last time he bought me heigen products from Walgreens to help with my dry skin and sculp. He bought two products for my sculp: Selsem Blue and Head and Shoulders. He also got me two bars of Nutregena soap, a brush and colmbs.

After helping Gary to get Windows 98 to work in his Windows XP environment I decided to search for VMware for my Mac. I found a free one called "Q" based on QEMU for the Mac. I was able to install Windows 98 on my G4 Mac desktop (PPC-600mhz). First install I got a BSOD but managed to install it again. Man is it slow. Takes 5 minutes to boot to the screen and there is a 3 second pause for the start menu to come up. There are different methods for processing the graphics. One mode allows you to render the graphics through the central processor. I set it for OpenGL which gets rendered through the graphics processor on the mac freeing up cycles for the central processor. I will try it back the other way and see if that speeds some things up. There is a really good Billards (Pool) program for Windows that I like to play (Pool M Up). I found two free one's for the Mac but they are not that usable. The one for Windows (written as freeware in Germany) provides much better control over how you hit the balls and there is more accuracy. I am going to see if I can get that to run in my Windows 98 virtual environment.

I also learned about an Easter Egg in the Unix native Emacs text editor in OS/X. Go to terminal and in Emacs and press [ESC]+"X" at the same time and enter in "tetris" to play tetris or "pong" to play a network version of pong. Maybe that will get me using Unix tools in OS/X. Emacs is praised by all Unix Administrators and Computer Science majors and geeks for Emacs simplicity and extensive functionality. A close comparision would be the once popular Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS.