Wednesday, April 2, 2008

At Skokie Meadows #001

I am doing fine with just a little trouble getting the motivation to pull myself out of bed. The place I am at is not very motivating. But I manage to get myself to Panera Bread (Wifi Internet) almost everyday, clean shaved and well groomed.

It turns out that I will need to be at Skokie Meadows a few more months. Having a 3rd party like I once had at Wilpower is important and my case worker has setup appointments for me to go to Turning Point (Skokie). I chose not to go back to Wilpower. I learned from my ex-roommate that they have a power play on the members. Also, my doctor and caseworker left Wilpower.

It is troubling for my mind to stay much longer. I had an intent to move out May 1st regardless. But that would have been a foolish mistake. I just don't want to be stuck at the nursing home, and the more I spend time with healthy people, the better. What I need is to be involved in productive activities outside of the nursing home. Something that is productive for me. Oakton can offer this where I could work on the student paper, work at the gallery and be able to spend time with friends. Go on nature walks. Make music. Do photography.

This June and July I am invited to do photography for the Chicago Peace Fest and the Michigan Peace Fest. I could still do that while at Skokie Meadows. They would write me a pass for three nights for the Chicago Peace Fest and two weeks for the Michigan Peace Fest. What I am missing is my digital camera for photographing the event. My uncle has a point and shoot he is willing to offer me. But what I miss is the quality and speed I got out of my Sigma SD9 dSLR. I left the camera on the Metra and no one at the lost n found returned my calls. I will schedule a day that I go to their office to claim it.

My case worker (Jill) wants me to go to groups at Turning Point for a month before I plan to move out. She wants to make sure that the groups are working out for me first.

I am currently seeing an intern therapist there every Monday and will begin groups shortly.

Turning Point will be my safety net for when I move out. I have a form of schizophrenia and I had gone off my meds before my hospitalizations and eventual residents at Skokie Meadows. I exposed symptoms of delusional thinking and paranoia. Turning Point has a 24hr hotline. I may refer to that if I have problems that require assistance in judgement.

My uncle Chris has helped me out with a few things. More recently he helped me move my computer to Skokie Meadows and helped with the purchasing of a small plant, one for me and one as a thank you to a manager at a jewler at Old Orchard Mall who paid to have my broken classes replaced.

I have a girl friend and more classes at Oakton to look forward too. I don't want to haste this one and instead get the treatment that has been advised.

Apart from Skokie Meadows I am also going to my friends house in Chicago to make music every Friday. This sort of thing keeps my mind in a productive frame of mind.

I expect for everything to fall in place by August 1st, my tentative move out date. It is up to me to find a place to move into. Currently I have plans to move out with one of the veterans at Skokie Meadows (Michael). We have pulled ourselves together pretty well. I visit him in his room everyday because he is the only person in the facility I could relate and talk too and put my mind in a healthy frame.